
Our landscaping has begun!!! Three months of mud and moonscape will soon come to an end. This pic is of the sandstone slabs that will be the steps leading from your parking area to the front door. You can just see the outline of a dry creek near the last stepp that will run the length of the front. It will be lined with small stone to emulate a creek bed. An even larger slab will act as a bridge over the creek and meet up with a more formal flagstone walk to the porch. So what story doesn't this tell? The battle inside the house. Our puppy Jett has found his voice and is a very good watchdog. We were overrun with workmen today, considering that we also poured some new concrete under the deck in back this morning. I was working from home with a busy conference call schedule. It was an absolute madhouse in this place. Jett had his choice of barking at the landscapers in the front or the concrete truck in back. Being a fair minded pup, he split his time equally, bolting back and forth across the great room to let me know something very unusual was happening on both sides of the house. His bark has real volume, so it was echoing off the timbers. At one point a landscaper drove a Bobcat right up to my bedroom window to make a grade. Our cat, who likes to lay on her newly installed kitty sill, freaked out completely. After all these years of ownership, I now know what a caterwaul is all about. She raised the hair on the back of my neck with her cry and with a loud bang, threw herself at the door trying to escape. I bolted past the barking Jett to see what happened to her, opened the door and snatched her up. Now, Jett had three things to bark about. All the while this is happening, I'm on a call, turning mute off when I have something to say, and on again, after I'm finished. Yes, my coworkers and customer could hear the commotion. It was funny for them....at first. Later, not so much. I realized that I was badly overmatched in this contest, so I tossed the cat down the stairs where she could find safe refuge in the basement, and I dashed to the loft (can you imagine ME dashing anywhere?), leaving Jett in sole possession of the battlefield. To my chagrin, Jett stopped barking when I reached the loft, but I did manage to fiinish that call in complete quiet. Can you see that from this picture? No, but that was the real story I told Ellen about our first day of landscaping.
No comments:
Post a Comment