I was supposed to be in Austin for training the rest of this week, with no blog updates until the weekend. I cancelled my trip at the gate, and was actually able to get a refund of a non-refundable ticket from American. There's probably a beneficial business impact from doing so too, since there are several key opportunities that could have suffered from my absence during this training hiatus. I opted not to fly for three reasons. First, I had scheduled a team dinner for this evening with my inside support teams. I could not have made that dinner because of the delay described below. Second, the same training is being offered in many locations and on many dates for the next couple of months, so it's easily rescheduled without cost. Finally, here is as close a transcription of the announcement of our flight delay as my memory can deliver. I honestly have not embellished.
"For passengers on Flight 5547 to Austin, your plane IS in St Louis, but it's in the hangar. We don't know what maintenance is looking at or when their repairs will be complete. When they are finished, they'll bring the plane to the gate and the flight crew will board to take it on a brief test flight to make sure everything is ok. If so, they'll return to the gate and we'll commence general boarding at that time. We don't really know exactly when that will be, but we'll try our best to reduce the delay in departure as much as possible."
So what decision would you make?
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment