Saturday, September 20, 2008

False alarms

Ok so I promised pictures of a big hole in the ground. That was overhyped. We do have a big Cat D963 sitting on our lot, and they have knocked the stumps over, but the only hole is the one in our promise of pictures. We didn't think you'd want to look at root balls, which is all you can really see out there. They do promise to dig next week. I'm sure you're can't wait to see a big, muddy hole, but please be patient.

Ellen and I did spend a few hours out there today. She cleaned up some of the landscaping (not sure you can really call old leaves and weeds landscaping, but let's be generous). I finally fulfilled my Dad's (RIP) vision of me as a euchre player. He always called me a loggin' %&#$. My family will appreciate and understand that Central Illinois euchre talk. With chain saw in full operation, I was a loggin' %&#$ out there. We had requested they leave one full size tree for us to cut up for a fire pit, when we opt to build one. It was a very large shagbark hickory. Went through two tanks of gas and the chain popped off the blade once, snapping back to hit me in the crotch (I guess there's really a purpose for that section on tensioning in the manual). It was a clean miss with respect to vital parts though, so for the first time I can say I'm glad I don't pack a huge target. Logger's crouch, a new syndrome that I created and named today, tore up my lower back and caused me to stop a little early. I did get the tree fully limbed and half bucked. I will finish it tomorrow and hope to report that all body parts are still intact.

No comments: