Sunday, September 28, 2008

Breaking Ground


The day has arrived. The top photo is a few of the Nurnberger clan, joining in the ground breaking ceremony. Left to right are Kayla, Halee, Lisa, Cassidy, Kurt, Lena, Bob the Builder, Ellen, and Ellen's parents, Dan and Kaye. Bob the Builder? That's what the helmets say. This wasn't my idea and fortunately for this home and all concerned, Bob is NOT the builder. Note the shovel in the center of the picture. Ellen wanted the city of Washington to give us a gilded shovel to use for this. They apparently were not impressed with the idea, so undeterred, Ellen wrapped the shovel blade in gold, Christmas gift wrap. Only Ellen would think of something like that. As my Dad used to say sarcastically about my Mom, "She's all mine." Cassidy sort of unwrapped it, but you get the idea. The second photo is of Ellen and I moving dirt.
I must note the sacrifices made to get these photos. We all were well chewed by a thriving population of mosquitoes. They definitely breed the Vampirus Ravenusis subspecies of mosquito in Central Missouri. Kaye unwittingly stood for the photo in a residual clump of poison ivy. I suggested that perhaps we should lay down a healthy dose of Agent Orange and a few hundred gallons of banned pesticides before moving in. Then I remembered we're doing that whole 'green' thing, and might have a tough time explaining how a decision like that fits.
So we have a hole in the ground!!

No comments: