

The work progressed quickly. I described it as a grown man's tinker toys in view of the ease with which our crew assembled the bents and supporting timbers. That's a very high compliment to the workmanship of Riverbend's timber framers. Our builder was expecting to have to shave and cut each timber to size, but was amazed at how precise the joinery was off the truck.

It's a standard feature for Riverbend to hand carve a word or phrase of the customer's choice into a timber at no additional charge. Ellen and I agonized over this. After all, you can't hit the delete key and start over once it's in the wood. We didn't want something sappy or passe', but everything we came up with fell into one of those categories. What to do? We finally gave up and created a contest for our local nieces and nephews, ranging in age from 6 to 16, asking them to come up with the answer for us. A cash prize was set for the winner. We were absolutely determined to choose from the entries we received. We went to church one Sunday while the contest was underway. I'm really bad about listening to sermons. Instead, I use the time for personal reflection. During a sermon on the reconstruction of the walls of Jerusalem, my thoughts drifted to our plans to build this house and from there, the contest we had devised. I thought it was really sweet that the kids were making an effort to come up with something for us. I realized how blessed we both were and decided on the spot that the only thing I wanted carved into this house was a praise to God. After the service, I proposed this to Ellen and she immediately agreed. We both looked through the Bible, and it was Ellen who suggested this Psalm. I just as quickly agreed. For those who know my life intimately, if you read this Psalm, you'll say, "Yeah. I get that." For those who don't, focus on the last verse. You'll understand our intent. BTW, because we suspended the contest, every contestant won the first place prize.


Check out the joinery. This is the precision I mentioned.

And so, the first day of our raising comes to a close. Even Riverbend was astonished at how much was accomplished, complimenting our builder and the crew he assembled. The beauty of the timbers and the work quality of all involved have made Ellen and I feel very good about the decisions we've made so far.
3 comments:
Rob & Ellen,
Your Mom just sent this out for us to look at. How exciting! lots of traditions being set forth by you two. Good luck with the rest of the house & I know I'll be back to check up on it! Take care....Karen Frazier
Wow. Simply wonderful. Enjoy the blog and best of luck. I'll be staying tuned...
Best,
Russ
Your house is going to be beautiful! Congrats and good luck!
Post a Comment