Sunday, October 5, 2008

They Didn't

My first year of marriage to Ellen was highly instructive. Before then, I never realized just how many things were actually my fault. As I learned the circuitous route a woman's mind takes to arrive at that conclusion, things became more clear. I was humbled by the awesome power and responsibility I had on all circumstances that touched our lives, no matter how coincidental or far removed they may have seemed to me. So it is with the Cubs' demise this year. I had planned to say, "They Did" this month, with all the arrogance born from my previous predictions. Failure inevitably visits the arrogant. So it is with a very heavy heart that I confess it's my fault the Cubs lost. Some cosmic linkage was established between me and that team, and God slapped me down for my prideful ways. Yea verily, it is a circuitous route one must travel to see that, but Ellen has trained me well.

I do not know my future as a Cub fan. Mark Cuban is positioned to buy the team. He is a person for whom I have no respect. He got lucky and cashed in on the dot com boom, but his life since is a disgrace to me, considering his attitudes toward this nation and its people. His current project is developing a toilet for the masses that will wash a butt with a flush. I don't know if the world is crying out for a new and improved bidet, but it does prove that his head is exactly where I believe it to be, in his ass. A lot of money will be thrown at the Cubs, and they'll likely win a championship the same way Steinbrenner did, by outbidding everyone else for talent. That won't be a real Cub championship though.. Under Cuban, do you think we'll ever see a guy like Aramis Ramirez just sign a renewal contract without getting a competitive bid, saying "How much money do you really need?", just for the privilege to play for the Cubs? I think not, and so the real reason Cub fans are Cub fans will disappear. Cuban's inevitable championship will just be a trophy.

As of this day, I want no part of it. My only hope for Cubdom and being a Cub fan is that he was devastated by this financial crisis and he withdraws his bid. If he does, I may buy one of his butt washers for our house. No matter how circuitous the route, I actually did find a way to make this entry relevant to a blog on house building.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Blasphemy!! Rob, does your company have an EAP program? Please get help quick! I've been very proud of you, living in Cardinal country and sticking with the Cubs through thick and thin. I'm sure if you prick your finger (now my thoughts are turning to George Carlin...ok, back on track), you see that you still bleed Cubbie blue.
I could care less if some rich smuck has purchased the team, while it's very unfortunate that baseball has come to this, I still love the game and can't let go of the team that I've grown up with.
I still recall the days, fondly, of my father hanging the bobblehead Cub from the front window with a shoestring in disgust. My friends always knew when the season was coming to a close by that gesture. I also will never forget the words I learned not to repeat in the company of certain folks usually in September of each year. But, the springtime of every year, the bobblehead was resurrected and put in a place of honor in our home. I too, was heartbroken this year, and wished I had that very doll so I too could place the noose around its neck.
But then, I remember the comebacks this year, the pleasure of sitting in Wrigley field with my boys, the crowd singing "The cubs are going to win today" and realize the sure fact that "wait till next year" will surely bring the World Series to the Chicago north side. (hmmm... perhaps I should contact my EAP program)